Saturday 2 July 2011

Finished?

This painting is now at that difficult stage where I think it's finished, but am not quite sure.  The foreground is niggling me a bit, maybe there is too much of the dark ground showing through.  I've tried to emulate what Scmid has done, but have found that almost impossible to be honest; his brush strokes are just masterly!

If you have a comment on the foreground - or any other aspect of the picture, actually - then I'd love to hear it.  Suggestions are always welcome.  I haven't been able to find a picture of his original painting online to show you what I'm working from, so will take a scan of the version in his excellent book, 'Alla Prima'.  If you only buy one book on painting then make it that one.  His paintings are truly inspirational, and he has a very easy and readable style as an author too.

For now I am going to let this one sit overnight.  Then I'll take a look at it tomorrow with a suitably jaundiced eye and decide whether I'm ready to sign it or not...

1 comment:

  1. It is looking great - all I would say is the bottom right corner looks as if it could do with some more definition.

    One day, I will have to get that book if this is an example of Schmid's work!

    ReplyDelete